About Us

 Original Church 1873-1915
Trinity 1915 - now...

A spark of interest for Lutherans in Versailles was ignited when Rev. Isaac Hursh held the first Lutheran service in the Methodist Church in 1856. Various reasons stimulated growth of the Lutheran faith and in March 1872 the German Evangelical Lutheran Church of Versailles was organized and a new building was dedicated on July 12, 1873. Music was provided by a foot pump organ which was later replaced with a self-contained bellows pipe organ. Young men of the congregation had to work it by pumping a hand lever until a motor was later added. This building served the congregation for forty two years. The gradual and constant growth made it apparent that the present structure would not meet their expanding needs.

In April 1914 the church council brought a proposal to the congregation to build a new modern and larger building. On December 5, 1915 a completed structure was dedicated. On June 17, 1923 a new pipe organ was dedicated. This instrument served the congregation for 40 years when our present organ was installed in 1963. The Traditional Christmas Eve Candlelight Service was held for the first time on December 24, 1930. The present church parsonage where the pastors of the congregation normally lives was built in 1931. In 1940 a major improvements project was held. A new heating system was installed, a new pulpit and lectern was added. New carpet was laid and the church pews were refinished. On October 13, 1966 the dedication service was held to celebrate the new Sunday school wing, the new communion rail addition as well as the new location of the choir loft.

From 1902 until the end of 1953 the pastors of Trinity also served as pastor of Friedens Lutheran Church in Bloomer, Ohio. In 2009 this shared ministry began again of serving both Friedens and Trinity. In 1959, two hundred red hymnals were purchased. In 1979 they were replaced with the green hymnals. Since the fall of 2008, we have used online resources to print the entire service in the bulletin.

Kinder Korner Preschool began using the church facilities in 1979 and are still at their present location. The origin of Kinder Korner was organized by the Versailles Council of Churches. At the present time they are governed by a Board of Directors.

During 1981-1982 the sanctuary was redecorated and ceiling fans were installed. New side walk and protective covers were installed over the stained glass windows. The youth group and young adults did different projects to raise the funds to install the chair lift, which was installed prior to Christmas Eve of 1982. The annual spaghetti dinner is an event which began in 1978. This is a wonderful congregational event that reaches out to others of the community. In 1988, a completely new microphone and speaker system was installed in the sanctuary. New carpet was installed in July 1989. A larger kitchen was built in the church basement in 1988. The Shelter House in the side yard was built on November 15, 1992. On March 11, 2001, the newly decorated sanctuary was dedicated. The walls were painted, the sound system updated, new electrical wiring and lighting were installed and the altar was moved out to a free-standing altar. In July 2005, the Pastor’s Study was redecorated which brought the office up to date for the pastor.

On January 10, 2007, Trinity began a new ministry of serving meals to the Versailles community. In March, we were able to serve the meals every Wednesday of each month due to the participation of other churches and groups from the community. This is truly a community effort and we have been blessed in many ways with this outreach ministry. Also in May, 2007 a new roof was installed on the parsonage. In the summer of 2009, Trinity was fortunate to raise enough money to remodel the downstairs bathrooms to make them handicap accessible.

The congregation has had many new projects over the past 125 years. This is a sign that Trinity has a viable and important ministry to the members and people of this community. May Trinity continue to serve the members and community for many more years to come!!!

In the spring of 2010, a team was formed to implement the installation of new carpet in the Sanctuary at Trinity. This became a reality as the carpet was installed in January of 2011. This project also included upgrades to the sound system and electric, a new arrangement for pews and the development of a Fellowship area at the back of the Sanctuary. New carpet was also installed in the Narthex, Sacristy and office area.